Tuesday, November 2, 2010

My Political Insight

How do I feel about politics?  About politicians?  I think we, the American people, set politicians up to be liars.  If one politician really said in all honesty what he/she was going to be able to do if elected... nobody would vote for them.   This is especially true if the rest of the politicians are busy telling us what we want to hear... giving us all of the promises that we insist on in order to get our vote.  I don't think all politicians are "bad".  In fact, I think that most people who make the decision to run for office enter the race with the best of intentions.  Those intentions get overshadowed by the pressure to get the vote, the pressure to be all things to all people, the pressure to lie in the name of running a campaign.  Sometimes I don't even think that they know they are being dishonest.  They really think they are going to do the things that they are promising.

This makes it difficult for an average American such as myself to know what is the best answer when I vote.  I know what I want from my representatives.  I want intelligent and caring representatives that will make decisions in the best interest of the people.  Here is the vicious cycle though.   Americans are so diverse in our thinking these days that everybody has a different idea of what is the best decisions. This is why politicians don't know what to say and therefore promise much more than they will ever have the power (and probably finances) to give. 

It's a huge responsibiltiy being a politician.  Each and every decision that they make has a direct impact on someone's life.  I pray that those that are elected will recognize that it is an honor to serve the people and will make decisions not only with their head, but also with their hearts.  I pray that they will do all they can to be informed . .  not just by their fellow Republican or Democrat.. but to be informed by the people who will feel the ramifications of their decisions. 

I'm ending tonight by saying that whatever happens I don't have the right to complain this time.  You see, I woke up this morning with all intent of making it to the polls as soon as I was finished at work.  However, I can honestly say that I forgot and didn't remember until I turned my television on later this evening and saw the results scanning across the bottom of the set.  I feel horrible and irresponsible and hope that this never happens again.   --- Do you believe me or is that just what I want you to believe?  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment